To add Facebook Comments to your site you first need to create a Facebook App. While this sounds like it might be very complicated, in reality, there are a few steps to follow and then you’ll be up and running.
- Visit https://developers.facebook.com/
- On the top menu, click My Apps, then ‘Add a New App‘.
- Give your app a name and category, then click the Create App button.
- After the security check you’ll find yourself in the app dashboard
- Copy the App ID. You’ll need this later.
- Next, click on Settings > Basic
- In the next screen, scroll down and click on the + Add Platform button
- Select Website and then paste in the URL for your site
- Scroll up to App Domains and enter the URL for your site (without the http:// or https:// prefix.)
- Under Contact Email, add your email address
- Under Namespace, enter the app name in lowercase letters with all spaces removed
e.g. “yourappname”. TIP! You are only allowed 20 characters.
- Click on Save Changes.
- Once done, click on App Review in the left-sidebar menu
- In the next screen, under Make [Your App Name] public?, click on YES
If you need further detailed instructions on how to create a Facebook App, be sure to check out Facebook’s Getting Started Guides.
Now to add your App ID to your site
- Go to Settings in the left-sidebar menu and then select Global Settings.
- In the Global Settings dashboard, select Facebook Settings.
- Scroll down to the field called Facebook Comment App ID.
- Paste in the App ID that you just created with Facebook.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on SAVE CHANGES.
You will be able to moderate your site comments here: http://developers.facebook.com/tools/comments